Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hear Me O Lord

In her Battlefield of the Mind devotional, Joyce Meyer says, "They ways of the Holy Spirit are gentle; most if the time He speaks to us in a still small voice. It is therefore vital that we learn to keep ourselves in a condition conducive to hearing."

This devotional really spoke to me this morning. I don't know about you, but my world is FULL of noise. Mickey Mouse, Dora, children screaming, singing, laughing, Duffy barking, phone ringing, dryer buzzing, and on and on. Am I in a condition condusive to hearing a still small voice?

I can not count how many times I have asked the Lord to answer me LOUDLY and CLEARLY. "Scream it at me Lord, hit me over the head with your answer," I have requested over and over. One more instance the Lord says to me, "Let's work on YOU, Brooke."

Praise God that He is willing to refine my ways over and over and over. He WANTS me to hear Him, but in His way and in His time. A still, small voice will be heard when I decide to turn off or get away from the noises of my everyday world. When I come before Him, condusive to hearing his Spirit is when he will do great works in me. The love and beauty in the Holy Spirit's voice is what I want to be conditioned to hear.

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a still small voice.
1 Kings 19:11-12